Tuesday 21 July 2009

LoveBox Festival - Victoria Park, London


London's answer to Glastonbury is what LoveBox Festival promised to revelers and in most departments they more than delivered.
Victoria Park played host to LoveBox as it had done since 2005, and while taking an initial stroll around I embraced the abundance of PR girls showering me with freebies from their respective blue-chips; glow in the dark Rizlas?! Who'd of thought!
As far as acts were concerned, Chipmunk successfully opened for the early birds. Fashionista come singer Florence Welch owned the stage with her swagger and I have to say her sound rang true with my ear drums as I had not heard her music before. Her album was promptly purchased on iTunes the following day.
Mr. Hudson's reggae-esque R'n'B was taken well by the crowds along with a guest apperance from rapper Kano, and it was clear from the audience's warm reception that this relatively new artist signed to Kanye West's label definately has a bright future ahead of him.
U.S rap metal band N*E*R*D was, by far, the highlight of the day for me. Aside from the fact that I was hauled on stage to wild out with Pharrell & Co, their unique electronic/rap/rock mash up had the crowd riled up into a frenzy for the better part of an hour. Capped off with the stage being filled with girls for their final track 'Everyone Nose'.
But what I think sets LoveBox apart from other festivals, especially the ones in London; is their dance areas. Started by Groove Armada it comes as no surprise that there were 3 unique designated areas playing house from electro to balaeric. I particularly enjoyed the 'Relentless Zone' where the surroundings made me feel as if I was on Bora Bora Beach. The large light fixtures scattered around me had periodic fireballs shooting out that was a spectacle to behold.
The 'Relentless Zone' was so good infact, that I had to be dragged over to catch the latter half of the headline act Duran Duran. They were decent but I got the feeling that the relatively young crowd were waiting for the bands biggest track 'Rio'. Which made me wonder if they were the right act to headline such a festival, taking nothing away from their actual performance.
Overall I think LoveBox makes for a brilliant day out especially when the weather is in a good mood. My only shortcomings on the event was the issues they had with sound for some acts (ironically I will include N*E*R*D as the act who had the most trouble). But aside from that, whether you prefer to go for one or two days, LoveBox is definately one of the leading London Festivals and great value for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment